List:       lyx-devel
Subject:    Re: Alternative to individual embedding?
From:       Richard Heck <rgheck () bobjweil ! com>
Date:       2008-05-13 21:06:10

Bo Peng wrote:
>>  "auto-update" would be interesting.
>>

> I have heard the 'URL' idea, and now the auto-update idea. I am
> interested to know how these can make the bundled mode work better.
> Please note that my approach needs no change of how users work with
> external files. Also, these will make the 'simple' idea of Richard's
> complicated, more intrusive to the code, etc...

I didn't propose the URL idea and haven't had time to consider it. But
the idea that you could actually bundle from
http://someserver.com/image.jpg and then update from it, too, is really
quite intriguing.

The auto-update idea would be trivial to implement. Assume you already
have Inset::UpdateFromExternalFile(). Independently of auto-update, you
probably also want to have LFUN_ALL_FILES_UPDATE on the menu. This would
just loop over the insets; it's ten lines of code or so. But if you have
that, then all you need to implement auto-update is a BufferParam
\auto_update that, if set, would cause the LFUN to be called when the
buffer was loaded. Another dozen lines of code. So, assuming (again)
that we already have Inset::UpdateFromExternalFile(), auto-update is at
most forty lines of code, probably less. (I added a few lines for
lfuns.h, LyXAction.cpp, etc, and we need to read and write the
BufferParam.) Not too complicated.

rh