List:       lyx-devel
Subject:    Re: Alternative to individual embedding?
From:       "Bo Peng" <ben.bob () gmail ! com>
Date:       2008-05-13 17:27:34

>  Well, maybe you're mirroring the original directory structure, in a way
> like chroot. But you're not "recreating" it. And I don't see the advantage
> of doing that myself.

This is Enrico's idea. The lyx file may be put several levels under
the new directory so that the original '../../figures/blah' path can
be restored.

The advantage of this approach is that it allows the use of out of
tree files, and recovery of the original links when a file is
unbundled. Taking (again) the example of user's guide, if a user sends
us an updated version, we can extract all embedded files and update
our user's guide with it. Such a feature is important when you work
mostly with external files, but need to send your document back and
forth to your co-authors.

Cheers,
Bo