List:       lyx-devel
Subject:    Re: Alternative to individual embedding?
From:       Charles de Miramon <cmiramon () kde-france ! org>
Date:       2008-05-13 15:07:46

Bo Peng wrote:

> On the other hand, the file format in my proposal is still plain text.
> For many other operations such as search and replace, you do not have
> to unzip. I consider this as an advantage.

You have got a point. But the mix of text and base64 which is what is done
in rtf, if I'm right, messes desktop indexers like strigi

> Good luck if you can get those. As I have mentioned, Richard's
> proposal is not friendly to external files.

 My proposition would be to add URI for external files. Example :

\begin_inset LatexCommand bibtex
options "cambridge"
bibfiles "Biblio, /home/charles/localbiblio"

\end_inset

would be

\begin_inset LatexCommand bibtex
options "cambridge"
bibfiles "ftp://charles@mylocalserver/Biblio,
file://home/charles/localbiblio"

\end_inset

The bundler would parse the field and bundle only the file:// items maybe by
having a bundle URI something like :

bibfiles "ftp://charles@mylocalserver/Biblio,
bundle://bibliography/localbiblio"

If I understand your workflow, you want to work with a colleague on a Lyx
paper where a lot of figures are generated on your computer from an
external statistical program. With my proposition, when you (re)generate
your figures, you would run a script to copy them on a ftp ; http server
common for you and your colleague.

I guess that there exist already in KDE some code that build on top of
QNetwork a svn, git stack that could be used in LyX in the future if there
is a need to add VCS functionalities.

Cheers,
Charles
--