List:       lucene-user
Subject:    Re: QueryParser refactoring
From:       sergiu gordea <gsergiu () ifit ! uni-klu ! ac ! at>
Date:       2005-03-08 13:54:42

Erik Hatcher wrote:

> On Mar 8, 2005, at 4:11 AM, sergiu gordea wrote:
>
>> In our project I save search strings, generated with query.toString
>> in the database and I reconstruct the Query at runtime.
>> I would appreciate if the  new QueryParser will pass the following
>> assert:
>>
>> Query query = QueryParser.parse(queryString, analyzer);
>> Query query2 =  QueryParser.parse(query.toString(), analyzer);
>> assertEquals(query.toString(), query2.toString());
>>
>> I think this might be a usefull test case ....
>

> I agree that this is a nice ideal, but it is unrealistic in the
> general sense.  A custom analyzer could easily break this.  I suspect
> there are other cases where this would break even with a plain
> SimpleAnalyzer.
>
>     Erik

I understand that this is a feature that requires a lot of attention,
but in my case it is a very usefull one.  Maybe the Query String that I
save in the database will
help you understand how usefull it is for me. Of course, I use just
StandardAnalyzer as a singleton in our project.
Anyway .. as I put the same analyzer in both classses, the test should pass.

So .. here is an example of how I parse a simple query string provided
by a user ...

the user checks a few flags and writes "test ko AND NOT bo"
and the resulting query.toString() is saved in the database:

+(+(subject:test description:test keywordsTerms:test koProperties:test
attachmentData:test) +(subject:ko description:ko keywordsTerms:ko
koProperties:ko attachmentData:ko) -(subject:bo* description:bo*
keywordsTerms:bo* koProperties:bo* attachmentData:bo*)) +creator:2
+classType:package.share.om.knowledgeobject +skillLevel:0
+(keywords:1000 keywords:1020)

I think you agree that is better to be saved in the database instead of
creating a
CustomQuery class that implements Serializable and save it in the database.

Until now I haven't  had any problem to reconstruct the Query from the
above string. I think this feature really gives value to Query class,
and saves a lot development
time for many of  lucene users.
Maybe I'm pushing to much with this functionality ... but if I tell you
that before i used BooleanQueries to build this query String, it was
build up with
regular string concatenation, in method with more then  200 lines of
code ...

  All the best,

 Sergiu