List:       ltsp-discuss
Subject:    [Ltsp-discuss] Ubuntu 12.04 LTSP breaks compatibility with old client PC's?
From:       "Pedro G. Rodrigues" <pgorod () gmail ! com>
Date:       2012-10-27 11:03:37

Hi everyone,

I've been using LTSP in my network for a few years, not for every user,
but as a way to make good use of old hardware, 3 or 4 old PC's that
connect to virtual desktops through RDP.

I am now building a new server, I installed Ubuntu Server 12.04 with
LTSP. (BTW, this is a server version, command-line only, but I installed
the graphic GUI in the chroot for the clients. Cool!).

My problem is that clients stopped connecting. DHCP seems to be (mostly)
right, as you will see from the screenshots. Also, I can get to the
graphic login in LTSP using a blank Hyper-V VM as a client.

But something is wrong because at least two of the clients that used to
work with my old Ubuntu 8.10 LTSP, now won't boot.

Two screenshots of hung workstations here:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/uzsmv4c1hq18452/GAXZEChG7q

they look a little different, but both hang at that point. All those IP
addresses look good to me. If I revert to the old Ubuntu LTSP server,
they boot correctly again.

What could be wrong? Perhaps I messed something by moving my old
dhcpd.conf file from the old server to the new one... but I think (don't
quite remember) it didn't look like a dangerous move at the time I
considered it, from what I saw in the default file.

Thanks for any help.

Pedro