List:       ltsp-discuss
Subject:    [Ltsp-discuss] Re: X0rfbserver Citrix Server semi-sol'n
From:       "Charles Marcus" <CharlesM () Media-Brokers ! com>
Date:       2002-06-11 21:00:49

> Date: Tue, 11 Jun 2002 16:41:17 +0200
> From: Jason Bechtel <bechtel@iig.uni-freiburg.de>
>
> I see...  You're concerned about them accessing the
> session with a password.  Look at the file
> 'rfm_fbs.1.0.html' that comes with the rfb source.
> It describes the "(Remote Framebuffer Macro) file format
> version 1.0", a human readable scripting language used to
> send messages to an RFB Server.  It includes the ability
> to script in the password.
>
> Also, why do you care about the security of the password
> if you are *trying* to publish/broadcast the session?

Actually, I would like to see the password be set when the Session is
initiated by the Admin (or whoever has permissions to initiate Support
sessions), so that it would be different (hopefully) for each session.

In other words, I don't think hard-coding the password is a good idea.

>> The ability to shadow sessions on different LTS networks
>> over a WAN link.  For example, say I have 5 LTS networks
>> located in different cities... I would like to be able to
>> shadow sessions in our local office *and/or* in remote
>> offices...
>>
>> Is this gonna require additional coding, or is it capable
>> now?

> I have no idea about whether this would "just work", but if
> it doesn't, you can always ssh to the remote LTS server
> (setting up an X-forwarding tunnel with -X) and then run the
> xrfbviewer/vncviewer there and have its display directed back
> across the WAN to your desktop.

Yes, but whate we really need (eventually), imho, is a user-friendly GUI app
that will show the following:

1) All different Networks that have been defined by the Admin (should be able
to define remote networks as well).

2) All Users for each network, with a flag for showing who is currently logged
in

3) Ability to select one User for Shadowing, or one or more Users for a
'Training Session'

4) Button to 'Initiate Session'

Yes, I'm lazy, and yes, I'd be willing to help fund this development, since I
can't do it myself.

>> Doing it via an email with a link (app?), this should be
>> possible, as long as the firewalls are set up properly, no?

> I don't see how you expect the email app to just execute a
> link as a command, but assuming you could do that...  Sure.
> You'd just have to have the command start the viewer pointed
> at the appropriate session and send the Remote Framebuffer
> Macro file containing the password info.

The executable would reside on the LTS server - the link (script?) would
simply feed it some variables (password, virtual screen to connect to, etc) -
or am I totally off-base?

Charles