List:       ltsp-discuss
Subject:    Re: [Ltsp-discuss] Ownerless processes
From:       "Charles Marcus" <CharlesM () Media-Brokers ! com>
Date:       2002-06-11 20:22:29

> Date: Sun, 10 Mar 2002 17:01:45 -0500 (EST)
> From: <jam@McQuil.Com>
>
> As I understand it, it is really a function of the display manager
> to kill any running tasks if a user dissappears.  Really outside
> the scope of the LTSP.  Although I agree that it is important
> for us.
>
> It seems that GDM is the display manager that causes the most
> problems, based on reports from the field, and my own experiences.
>
> On occasion, I've turned off a terminal, waited 30
> minutes, turned it back on and logged in, only to find my
> previously running processes still running!  This was when
> using GDM.
>
> I'm now using KDM and have never seen the problem occur.

Thats good to know, but... (there's always one, isn't there? ;)

Don't processes maintain the UID of the account that started them?

Wouldn't it be possible to write a script that inits upon logon, that does a

ps -aux | grep UID | grep older than CurrentTime-1Minute | killall -9

or something to that effect, so that when a User logs in, regardless of what
processes were left running, all old process would be killed?

Understand, I know I'm probably showing my scripting ignorance, but... :)

Charles