List:       ltsp-developer
Subject:    Re: [Ltsp-developer] ldm and l10n display
From:       vagrant () freegeek ! org
Date:       2008-04-14 14:14:03

On Mon, Apr 14, 2008 at 12:43:48AM -0400, Warren Togami wrote:
> Do you know how ldm gets its locale from the environment?  Discovered
> just now that ldm-2.0.2 on Fedora 9 isn't displaying any translations
> despite the standard method of setting the LANG.

yes, i experienced this on debian as well. setting LANG in lts.conf
worked for me. interestingly enough, someone discovered that it didn't
display the locale on initial run, but did after killing the X server.

they fixed it by sourcing the relevent locale settings and exporting
lang in the screen session.

we might want to explore doing that from the init scripts and/or
screen_session.

> /etc/sysconfig/i18n on the client chroot has:
> LANG="ja_JP.UTF-8"

all the ones i've tested so far were pretty much based on european
languages- not sure if other character sets would be an issue here.
hopefully not..

> I notice that ldm code itself only gets the displayed language from
> LDM_LANGUAGE.  I tried setting it in lts.conf and it still doesn't
> display ja_JP.

> Two questions:
> 1) Any idea why it wouldn't be working with LDM_LANGUAGE?

i don't know anything about LDM_LANGUAGE, but i'm guessing that's more
for the language selection for the login session than what the greeter
displays.

> 2) Perhaps we should create a fall-back way for the client to choose a
> language if ldminfod grabbing failed.  Perhaps by using whatever LANG is
> in the environment when the greeter is run?

sounds feasible.

live well,
  vagrant