List:       ltsp-developer
Subject:    Re: [Ltsp-developer] Workstation halts when loading the NIC module even after chaning the card?!
From:       Andy Rabagliati <andyr () wizzy ! com>
Date:       2004-12-26 9:11:22

On Sun, 26 Dec 2004, Dr. Sichendra Bista wrote:

> If the RAM is bad, it won't show when the machine is booted (BIOS
> count) in the beginning. I do not see your reasoning why you suspected
> it is RAM? Could you explain?

Ram is hard to test.

Sticking patterns in and reading them back is a basic go/nogo test, but
far from complete.

Refresh ? If I store something there, will it be there 10 seconds later ?

Patterns ? A one in a sea of zeroes ? vice-versa ?

Often access timing can be different if the CPU is /executing/ code out
of that block as opposed to read/write. Data read/write implies there is
another fetch stream (the instruction stream) also being fetched - maybe
that is enough to give the data portion a 'rest' between accesses ?

memtest86 is a small program you can run off a boot floppy - but is
invariably incomplete. Some people swear that a good ramtest is a gcc
kernel compile.

You have 24 M RAM. Try taking 8M out ? Can you do that ?

Swap RAM from another box ? Shuffle the RAM in the slots ?

Try an older LTSP client package - maybe it will fail in a diferent place ?

Or (shock horror) get another client box ? My time is worth more that 3
hours futzing around with old clients. I live in South Africa.

Cheers,      Andy!