List:       lprng
Subject:    LPRng: Adobe Windows driver problems
From:       Rick Cochran <rcc2 () cornell ! edu>
Date:       2002-04-25 14:48:42

I have spent the last month working on Windows print driver issues.
Pity me.

I realize that this posting is not completely appropriate for the LPRng
list, but I'm not sure where else to post it.  It's really only
interesting to people who manage enterprise print servers in challenging
environments (can you spell "universities"?).

Any (constructive) suggestions on proper forum welcome.  And if Patrick
thinks I should stop posting this stuff to LPRng, I will certainly
comply.

That said, here is my latest adventure:

OS: Windows 98 (but I have seen this with W2K also)

Driver: Adobe Universal PostScript Windows Driver Installer 1.0.5 (for
Windows 95, 98, Me, NT 4.0, and 2000) - English

Driver URL:
http://download.adobe.com/pub/adobe/printerdrivers/win/1.x/winsteng.exe

PPD File: LOPS1855.PPD from
http://drivers.lexmark.com/drivers.nsf/printer+driver/94D6D70D3F5D14F2852560F40045B48C/$FILE/MPADO_AE.EXE

Document: Microsoft Word - any document ("Hello World" on a new page)

Symptom: Takes a very long time to print.  Printer alternates between
spinning wheels and stopping for several cycles, then prints document
correctly.

Analysis: The print driver is actually creating two print jobs - one
containing only preamble data and no page data, the other OK.  The empty
job confuses the printer until it times out.  The two jobs can be easily
verified by setting the Windows printer to "Use Printer Offline".  Two
jobs show up in the queue.

Additional data: Using the default "Generic PostScript Printer" PPD file
in the Adobe installation package causes the document to print properly.

Conclusion: Something in the Lexmark PPD file is causing the printing
delay.  In other words, the PPD files on the Lexmark Web site, labeled
"PPD files for Adobe Systems driver", do not work as advertised.

Note: This problem does not occur when printing from Netscape or Adobe
Acrobat Reader.

Lexmark is escalating this problem.  Hope springs eternal.

-Rick

--
|Rick Cochran                                   phone: 607-255-7618|
|Cornell CIT - Systems & Operations - Net-Print   FAX: 607-255-8521|

with:                           | example:
subscribe LIST <mailaddr>       |  subscribe lprng-digest myname@host.org

If you have major problems,  send email to papowell@astart.com with the word
LPRNGLIST in the SUBJECT line.