List:       listar-dev
Subject:    [LDev] Re: Introduction
From:       Jeremy Blackman <loki () maison-otaku ! net>
Date:       2000-02-08 1:42:45

On Mon, 7 Feb 2000, Ken Payne wrote:

> Just got invited over here.  I'll state my credentials
> and you guys can let me know where help is needed and
> if you need my assistance.

I will put together a list of current tasks we wanted to handle, and post
it, and perhaps you have some ideas about what you might want to look at
doing.  Don't worry about the SMTP; I know mail transport and protocols
/far/ too well, and that's one area I pretty much handle solo. :)

I think probably your experience might be best used initially for helping
create the database support; of JT and myself, I am the only one with any
extensive RDBM experience, which has put that burden onto my plate up
until now.

> Been programming since about 1979, as a 12 year old with

Good heavens!  I was /2 years old/ in 1979. :)

> I think I can probably handle almost anything you
> throw at me unless it has to do with some of the
> nitty-gritty SMTP stuff (still learning that).  Also,
> I could do filters but maybe Perl is best suited for
> that.

Not really; it's more useful to write a general-purpose 'filter' module,
and use that.  Though I am considering swapping the Spencer Regexp package
we use for the PCRE package... decisions, decisions.

I like Perl fine... for utilities and shell scripts.  Not applications. ;)

> On a final note, Listar is a great package, and after
> the initial problems setting it up, I'm quite pleased.
> I've been using Majordomo for 3 years with about
> 6000 subscribers and I've been hearing that entire
> time that Majordomo 2 was just around the corner.

To be fair to Jason, he's really done an amazing job on what there is of
Mj2.  But he's trying to develop solo, and that makes it very hard.  If I
were still writing Listar solo, I would have folded under the pressure
long since; I have a lot of respect for Jason for sticking with it as long
as he has.

> I must say that I'm impressed with the package.

I'm glad you like it!  I'm certainly surprised at how far my little
project to create a replacement for Majordomo on my boxes has turned
out... even if Listar is still the 'red-headed stepchild' of MLMs in a lot
of ways.  But people are starting to take it seriously. :)

--
Jeremy Blackman - loki@maison-otaku.net / loki@listar.org / jeremy@lith.com
Lithtech Team, Monolith Productions      -- http://www.lith.com