List:       listar-dev
Subject:    [EDev] Re: Patch : Use strerror instead of sys_errlist
From:       Tomas Ogren <stric () ing ! umu ! se>
Date:       2004-04-26 14:16:09

On 25 April, 2004 - Erik de Castro Lopo sent me these 1,2K bytes:

> On Sun, 25 Apr 2004 04:47:24 +0200 (MET_DST)
> Mattias Wadenstein <maswan@acc.umu.se> wrote:
>
> > On Sun, 25 Apr 2004, Erik de Castro Lopo wrote:
> >
> > > HI all,
> > >
> > > This patch does:
> > >
> > >   - On OSes other than AIX, use strerror instead of accessing sys_errlist
> > >     directly. On Linux with gcc-3.3, accessing sys_errlist is deprecated
> > >     and causes a linker warning.
> >
> > Why the special case for AIX?
>
> Not 100% sure. My approarch was to avoid the linker warning on Linux without
> breaking anything else.
>
> There was already a special case for AIX in that file so I assumed there
> was something special about AIX and I wasn't able to test it because I
> don't have access to machine running that OS.
>
> If anyone does have access to AIX, they should try removing both of the
> #ifdef _AIX sections of src/core.c to see if the standard case works.

strerror() works on my AIX 4.3 at least.

      Base Operating System and Extensions Technical Reference, Volume 2

strerror Subroutine

Purpose

Maps an error number to an error message string.

Library

Standard C Library (libc.a)

Syntax

#include <string.h>
char *strerror (ErrorNumber)
int ErrorNumber;

[..]
Implementation Specifics

This subroutine is part of Base Operating System (BOS) Runtime.

/Tomas
--
Tomas Ögren, stric@ing.umu.se, http://www.ing.umu.se/~stric/
|- Student at Computing Science, University of Umeå