List:       list-managers
Subject:    Re: experiences with mail merge and scheduling in MLMs
From:       Jeremy Blackman <loki () maison-otaku ! net>
Date:       2000-01-06 23:13:17

On Thu, 6 Jan 2000, Marsha Petry wrote:

> Anybody have some experiences in this area as to what would be a good MLM
> for these needs?  I've looked at Majordomo, Listar, Sympa, Listproc, ezmlm,
> Listserv (and unless I've missed some documentation on the others Listserv
> is the closest to what I need, and that's what I may opt for, though it's
> pretty pricey).

Listserv does what you need out-of-box, though it can be a royal nightmare
to set up that way at times and is a bit pricey, as you note.

I /think/ Lyris can also do this, and is probably slightly less pricey.

> If no MLM fits my needs, any suggestions on what open source code might be
> the best to look at as far as modifying for my needs?  Someone on the ezmlm
> list suggested modifying qmail for the mail merge feature - sounds OK.  Any
> other experiences?

Well, for my own part, I can suggest Listar (surprise) for modification
simply because the whole thing is based around a dynamic and extendable
architecture.  Writing a 'mailmerge.lpm' to plug-in could cover your need
there fairly well, though you will then have to send each message
separately... not /as/ bad as it could be, though, if you are running
qmail (as it would seem).  Listar already has hooks for per-user message
modification, but nothing implements functionality on those hooks yet; the
mail merge concept would be one that could make use of that.

Of course, I will readily admit that my viewpoint is biased; JT and I
wrote Listar that way specifically so we could add new features (or other
people could) as needed without having to change the core code.

--
Jeremy Blackman - loki@maison-otaku.net / loki@listar.org / jeremy@lith.com
Lithtech Team, Monolith Productions      -- http://www.lith.com