List:       list-managers
Subject:    Great Circle server slowness (was Re: sunyjefferson.edu)
From:       "Michael C. Berch" <mcb () postmodern ! com>
Date:       1997-11-04 7:55:23

Paul Allen Rice wrote:
> I've rarely had a
> confirmation message come to me later than ten minutes after I send the sub
> command to the server.  (In fact, I recall thinking that the half hour I
> waited to get notice back from Great Circle was an unbareable length of
> time.  Why is Great Circle so slow???)

Basically, the greatcircle.com server runs with a pretty decent load grinding
through mailing list stuff, as well as serving up Web (we plan to separate
those in the future), and we have things set so that Majordomo won't run new
jobs if the load average is over some threshold, thus a delay for subscription
processing and associated matters at peak periods.

--
Michael C. Berch
mcb@postmodern.com / mcb@greatcircle.com