List:       linuxbios
Subject:    [coreboot] Re: Please test coreboot using laptops with kernel 6.1-rc# for a possible backlight regre
From:       Hans de Goede <hdegoede () redhat ! com>
Date:       2022-10-27 10:56:41

Hi,

On 10/26/22 14:03, Hans de Goede wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I have landed a large(ish) refactor of the ACPI/x86 backlight detection
> code in the kernel for 6.1. It has come to my attention that this may
> cause backlight control to stop working on laptops where the original
> BIOS has been replaced with coreboot, see this patch, which is the root
> cause of the possible regression + its replies:
> https://lore.kernel.org/platform-driver-x86/20220825143726.269890-3-hdegoede@redhat.com/

Note I have written a blogpost to ask for more general testing of
old/weird laptops for this. This includes an easy way to identify if
your laptop might be affected (without needing to build a 6.1-rc#
kernel). This easy way should also apply to coreboot using laptops:

https://hansdegoede.dreamwidth.org/26548.html

Please give this a try if possible.

Regards,

Hans