List:       linux-xfs
Subject:    Re: How to reconstruct an xfs filesystem and restore all datas?
From:       Chris Wedgwood <cw () f00f ! org>
Date:       2003-06-17 13:04:38

On Tue, Jun 17, 2003 at 06:12:57PM +0800, Scott Liu wrote:

> A partition created of xfs filesystem and have a lot of datas in.
> BUT remiss, I done "mkfs.xfs" of this partition and then I LOST all
> datas.  How to reconstruct this xfs filesystem and restore all
> datas?

mkfs.fs will have obliterated most if not all useful metadata making
recovery painful at best.  It depends what kind of data you have there
and how fragmented it was --- but you might have a chance of recovery
for some of it if you can use a heuristic to detect the data your
after and hope that it's mostly contiguous.

I've done this several times for people who've trashed disks for of
images mostly because asynchronous writes ensure most files are
not-fragmented and most images (jpegs) are easy to scan-for and
recover.

  --cw