List:       linux-wlan-user
Subject:    Re: [lwlan-user] Help with Wireless USB Adapter(Microsoft MN-510)
From:       jdebert <jdebert () garlic ! com>
Date:       2004-07-05 19:09:44

Sebastian Baron wrote:
> A couple of weeks ago I installed Mandrake Linux 10 on my computer to
> dual boot with Windows XP. Everything went ok on the installation and
> Mandrake detected most of my hardware. Except for my Wireless adapter.
> After searching the net I found out my adapter used the Prism2
> drivers. I was told linux-wlan-ng would be the driver I needed.

You must "make dep" after "make oldconfig". Then you may build and
install the wlan-ng package. Usually there is no need to build a whole
new kernel.

If depmod did not complain while installing the wlan-ng modules then you
may be running the wrong-versioned kernel--that is, a kernel the wlan-ng
modules were not built for.

Try repeating "make oldconfig" and "make dep" in the current kernel's
source directory. Use "uname -r" to get the running kernel's version so
you know where to go.

Then "make clean", "make config", "make", "make install" (as root) the
wlan-ng modules and watch depmod's output for errors during install.

Try not to make a new kernel unless you absolutely have to.

=-=