List:       linux-wlan-devel
Subject:    [lwlan-devel] linux-wlan-ng 0.1.14-pre3 released
From:       Solomon Peachy <solomon () linux-wlan ! com>
Date:       2002-05-21 15:47:50

Howdy, folks.

First, as of the 13th of May, I'm employed by AbsoluteValue Systems, the
commercial entity behind the linux-wlan-ng drivers.  I'm delighted to be
here, and I look forward to becoming even more active in the Linux
wireless networking community.

(Who ever said Open Source and/or Free Software couldn't get you a job?)

Version 0.1.14-pre3 is up at
ftp://ftp.linux-wlan.org/pub/linux-wlan-ng/

The major change in this release is the integration of the skb patch that
significantly reduces CPU load (and driver readability!)  Other noteworthy
changes include USB fixes -- it no longer kernel panics when you bring up
the interface, and using WEP should now work.

Additional thanks go to Kristen Carlson for finding a bug in the packet
conversion code that's been there.. well, forever.  :)

I have a few things on my todo list for -pre4, including integration of
the driver SMP locking rewrite, which still needs work and a lot more
testing before it's ready for more widespread circulation.  (If anyone
wants to be a lab rat, let me know..)

The full changelog is below.

0.1.14
-pre3
  - Applied pizza's patch to remove the pb_t structure and make all
    802.11<->ether conversions happen in-place.  Noticeably reduces
    cpu load.  Also includes a few misc bugfixes to the conversion code.
  - Workaround for the kernel panic on bringing up a USB interface
  - Applied Mike Klar's USB patch that adds support for the MIPS
    target and should, among other things, fix WEP under USB.
  - Added Remy Cool's patch to add the Dynalink prism2 card ids.
  - Tim Miller's pcmcia script install path patch
  - Applied Tim Fletcher's patch to allow compilation against
    the newest versions of the wireless extensions. (V13)
  - Added jwyatt's patch for the Compaq Evo N600C USB adapter thing.
  - Per mwelk's suggestion, changed the displaystring totext to single
    quote the strings.  Hopefully this will take care of some of the
    "SSID w/ space" problems.
-pre2
  - tseward's ID code patch for Siemens SpeedStream USB adapters.
  - pizza's patch for dropping/ignoring frames in promisc and allmulti
    modes.
  - crankin's new Actiontec USB IDs.
  - crankin's fix for wext /proc zero vs. garbage problem.
-pre1
  - pizza's chkconfig comment in rc.wlan.
  - pizza's patch to add true promiscious support to 0.1.13. Also includes
    Experimental ALLMULTI support.
  - pizza's patch to add PF_PACKET capture and raw transmit to 0.1.13-pre2,
    (with toggles for WEP in sniffing and prism header)
    NOTE: this patch _removes_ the old netlink monitor mode (sniff) interface.
    If you're sniffing, you need to use the latest libpcap (v7.2-pre..from CVS),
    you'll also need to build your own ethereal (0.9.0 or greater) using the
    latest libpcap.
  - bhuang's fix for the hfa384x_test_command() function.

Enjoy, Folks!

 - Pizza
--
Solomon Peachy                        solomon@linux-wlan.com