List:       linux-vlan
Subject:    [VLAN] Re: [VLAN] How to set MAC-address per VLAN
From:       Ben Greear <greearb () candelatech ! com>
Date:       2000-12-09 7:36:10

David Spindler wrote:

> I agree. If you can ping the computer from every vlan then the vlan code is
> working.  It sounds like a switch configuration problem.  But depending on what
> you are doing with IP it could be other problems.  Maybe you could send in a
> more detailed description of the layout w/IPs?
>
> David Spindler
> TIS-Network Operations
> 512-475-9299
> 512-415-1434
>
> On Fri, 8 Dec 2000, Evil wrote:
>
> > > When I try to change mac-addr the way I think it should be done:
> > > ifconfig eth0.120 hw ether 00:D0:B7:4C:92:89   answer is
> > > SIOCSIFHWADDR: Operation not supported
> >
> > I am not sure but to change the hw address of something you need to make
> > "ifconfig eth0.120 down" first.

I just added the code to allow changing the MAC in rls 0.0.14, so I'd
be interesting in knowing if the above change allowed it to work.
I'm not sure I actually tested the backport to the 2.2 kernels :(

If the switch is getting confused about MAC lookup tables, then
it may send packets out the wrong interface, but when you ping from
each interface from the linux box, then things are OK because the
switch is learning **yours**.

Try this:  ping through vlan1 from linux.
tcpdump -i vlan1
Try thing that fails, and see if the packets are just coming in
on the wrong device (tcpdump will tell you...)

--
Ben Greear (greearb@candelatech.com)  http://www.candelatech.com
Author of ScryMUD:  scry.wanfear.com 4444        (Released under GPL)