List:       linux-vlan
Subject:    [VLAN] Re: [VLAN] Re: [VLAN] Re: [VLAN] Re: [VLAN] Re: [VLAN] STP and vlan_hard_start
From:       Gleb Natapov <gleb () nbase ! co ! il>
Date:       2000-10-23 15:59:45

On Sun, Oct 22, 2000 at 11:04:03AM -0500, David Spindler wrote:
> I don't understand all the interactions with skb, but if you set
> hard_header_len and then write directly to the interface, might that
> hard_header_len be ignored as hard_header is never called for raw sockets?

 I've looked at the kernel code and this is exactly what happening. If dev->hard_header
is zero, code assumes that header will be added in xmit function and reserves room in the
head of skb, otherwise it doesn't reserve enough room there.

 There is the comment in the code which says that drivers that add header in xmit function are buggy :).
Whoever wrote this comment didn't think about encapsulation I guess.

--
			Gleb.