List:       linux-vlan
Subject:    Re: [VLAN] Fw: how to test skb_priority - vlan_qos mapping for
From:       Patrick Schaaf <bof () bof ! de>
Date:       2003-08-19 7:24:44

> So the questions are:
>
> 1. How to configure ingress & egress skb_priority - vlan_qos mapping (vconfig example)?

"vconfig help" is pretty descriptive.

> 2. How to generate traffic for such testing (give an example please)?

What do you want to do this for? YOU should know what traffic you want
influenced which way, and how to provoke it.

> 3. Can we use tcpdump to analyze it?

Yes.

> For which interface we should use it - eth0 or vlan?

Nonono. If you want sensible tests, don't use a crossover cable: use a
dumb hub, and put a third box onto the hub where you run tcpdump. That
way you tcpdump the packets as they are on the wire, and not the
intermediate view that some operating system to be tested, happens
to present to you.

> Which parameters should be used and where to look for vlan_qos and skb_priority in tcpdump output?

You will not see skb_priority (it's a local kernel concept, not
something to be put into packets); you will see the vlan QOS bits
in the place Rich Seifert intended them to be: in the VLAN header.

This awfully sounds like a school/homework assignment. Again, what do
you want to do this for?

best regards
  Patrick