List:       linux-usb-users
Subject:    RE: [Linux-usb-users] simple USB serial coonnector
From:       Hugh Blemings <hugh () linuxcare ! com>
Date:       2000-07-20 23:22:58

Hi,

Sorry I didn't put my hand up about this earlier on, I hadn't realised that
there are now three different USB mailing lists and I was only on two of
them.  Hey ho... :)

It's not clear from the IRMAN doco whether it does decoding itself and
presents this data as a serial stream or simply provides a demodulated signal
onto one of the handshaking pins.

This is quite important as we're unlikely to get very accurate timing on
handshaking signal transitions over USB, hence if the unit relies on this it
may not work very well.

FWIW, Keyspan make a USB based infrared receiver and remote control unit
which as of a couple of days ago they've agreed to provide information for
so I can work on drivers for it too.  This will be designed to integrate
with LIRC.

Completeing the serial drivers remains the priority though so I don't plan
on doing anything substantial on the IR device for a few weeks (Keyspan are
still in the process of putting together the relevant info too)

Cheers,
Hugh