List:       linux-usb-users
Subject:    [Linux-usb-users] simple USB serial connector
From:       Bart De Win <bart.dewin () cs ! kuleuven ! ac ! be>
Date:       2000-07-20 12:56:14

Hi,

I'm new to this list so forgive if I ask a question that has already been
answered.  If so, just let me know and I'll search in the list archives some
more.

I'm looking for a simple USB device that offers me 1 serial port.  I will use
it to connect an Irman (http://www.evation.com). I read that four devices are
supported by the serial driver, but they all are very powerfull and
expensive!  I just need 1 simple serial port.

Then I read something about the Keyspan PDA adapter.  This adapter seems to
offer 1 DB-9 serial port (35$), but their website tells me it only supports
PDA's.  Is this a restriction ? They also sell a high speed serial adapter,
which is a bit more expensive (75$), but supports all kind of devices. I will
use it to connect a IR receiver (Irman).  Do I need the high speed adapter,
or can I just use the PDA adapter ?  And if not, is the high speed adapter
also supported by the driver ?

All comments are greatly appreciated.

Cu,
Bart.