List:       linux-sparc
Subject:    Sun JavaStation
Date:       2001-05-11 0:38:39

Hello,

I am attempting to boot a Sun JavaStation-1 from a Sun IPX.  The IPX is
currently running Linux 2.2.x.  Both machines have public IP addresses,
and are on the same network segment, and are connected via ethernet.  I
set up RARP on the IPX, and set it to assign an IP address to the
Javastation's Ethernet address.  Running Rarp with the "show cache" option
shows that the entry was read correctly by rarp, but how can I test this
from another machine (I have several other sparc/linux machines) to verify
that it is working properly.

I also have DHCP set up on the IPX machine.  Again, is there a tool to
verify how DHCP is working?  One with which you could feed an ethernet
address and get the info back over the network?

I have TFTPd set up as well on the IPX machine.  This I have tested with
tftp itself.  It seems not to get files if I don't send the absolute
path.  I tried using the -s option, but to no avail.  How precisely does
the javastation ask for the file (i.e. what exact path does it use, just
the filename?)  As an example, the root tftp folder is /tftpboot.  i have
to ask for /tftpboot/test, just test won't work.  This may be much of the
problem.

I have the JavaOS as well, and was considering play with that, but for now
I have the PROLL in the tftpboot directory, appropriately named as the Hex
IP.

The frustrating thing is that there is no easy way to tell from the JS
what the problem is, it simply gives the "!" in a triangle.  Is there
_any_ way to get _any_ status other than that from it?  There were
keyboard shortcuts mentioned in the Linux/JS faq, but also it was
mentioned they dont' work on the JS-1.  Since the JS won't tell me what's
working and what isn't, and there is no easy way (that I know of) to
verify with certainty the DHCP and RARP services, I am a bit stuck.

Any help would be appreciated.

thanks,
   noah silva

-