List:       linux-sparc
Subject:    Weitek SPARC-PowerUp CPU - Kernel problems?
From:       Andreas Behnert <abehn () gmx ! net>
Date:       2001-12-13 15:14:39

SparcStation2 or SparcStation IPX with CPU "Weitek SPARC POWERuP"

FAQ (i.e. the one at ultralinux.org) says that only revision 9518T
or newer (= higher rev#) of this CPU will correctly run the
Linux kernel.

What's exactly the problem with the earlier revisions of this CPU?
Is this something that can be fixed on the software side (kernel)?
And if so - maybe this already has been fixed in a more or less
recent kernel?

I really would like to put such a CPU into my SS2 but at least here
in Germany it is _really_ hard to to get such a Weitek and I've
never ever seen a 9518T or higher...

Greetings,

Andreas

--
To err is human; effective mayhem requires the root password!
--

-