List:       linux-smp
Subject:    Re: Tyan motherboards
From:       Jon Lewis <jlewis () inorganic5 ! fdt ! net>
Date:       1998-08-26 6:41:16

On Tue, 25 Aug 1998, Nicholas J. Leon wrote:

> On Tue, 25 Aug 1998, John Keimel wrote:
>
>  # I've built more than a dozen machines with TYAN MB's and have had
>  # problems only three times. Of which, all were resolved easily once I
>  # stodd back to take a look, or talked to TYAN.
>
> 3/12, 1/4, 25%(+) of the systems you assembled had problems?? That sounds
> like an awful ratio to me.

I've built systems with 9 Tyan boards.  All Tomcat I, II, III, or IV.
All run Linux.  2 are SMP.  None has had any serious problems.  The most
important thing seems to be buying Tyan approved memory.  In one, I had to
use slower than default memory timings because I didn't get the right
brand memory.  Default settings gave occasional parity errors.

I'm mostly using Asus now for new systems.