List:       linux-smp
Subject:    Re: boot error message
From:       "Randy.Dunlap" <rddunlap () osdl ! org>
Date:       2003-08-04 15:50:51

On Mon, 4 Aug 2003 01:01:51 -0500 (CDT) "john.fioroni" <john@comcast.net> wrote:

| I am running Redhat 7.2 on a dual P3 1000MHz machine with
| 512MB of RAM. During boot I get the following error message:
|
| WARNING: unexpected IO-APIC, please mail to
|
| What would you like me to mail to you?

What Linux kernel version?  If it's the kernel that shipped with
RH 7.2, that's not very interesting since many changes have
been made since then.

What motherboard, chipset?

In the kernel log, there should be some text such as this.
This is what we need to see...

number of IO-APIC #2 registers: 24.
testing the IO APIC.......................

IO APIC #2......
.... register #00: 02000000
.......    : physical APIC id: 02
.... register #01: 00178020
.......     : max redirection entries: 0017
.......     : PRQ implemented: 1
.......     : IO APIC version: 0020
.... register #02: 00178020
.......     : arbitration: 00
 WARNING: unexpected IO-APIC, please mail
          to linux-smp@vger.kernel.org
.... IRQ redirection table

--
~Randy