List:       linux-scsi
Subject:    Re: Sony SDT-10000 does not seek?
From:       Kai Makisara <makisara () metla ! fi>
Date:       1999-07-29 13:26:43

On Tue, 27 Jul 1999, Robert Siemer wrote:

> Hello!
>
> From: Kai Makisara <makisara@metla.fi>
>
> > > My SCSI DAT tape make some problems. It cannot "seek".
>
> > Try 'mt stsetoption scsi2logical' before you use the tape (the drive may
> > support only logical block addresses).
>
> Thats it! You are my hero for the next week.  (:

Thanks :-)

> Where did you get this trick? And how can I see, wheter the option is
> already active?

This problem has been found with some other SONY drives. There are not
many parameters in the SCSI LOCATE command and this is the obvious one to
try. Actually, I recommend using logical block addressing with all drives
that accept it (most do).

The driver writes the current settings of the options to the system log.
You can use the command 'mt stsetoption 0' and look up the options from
the system log. (In most cases you can set/reset an option if you are not
sure about the current state. You don't have to know what the old value
was.)

	Kai

-