List:       linux-scsi
Subject:    Re: Strange problem when add a new SCSI Hard Drive
From:       Matthias Andree <mandree () sx1 ! HRZ ! Uni-Dortmund ! DE>
Date:       1999-07-28 11:04:30

* Michel Guy Paiement (paiement.mg@axone.net) [1999-07-26 23:52]:
> Last week I bought a new disk a WesternDigital WDE9100, a 50 pins connector drive. \
> At this time the problem start to occur: My new configuration is  (note both drives \
> are extrernals) :
> ---------------+
> Computer   | -------------{New drive}-------{Old drive}----(Terminator)
> ---------------+		  ID=3		   ID=0
>

> 1) When I go in the Adaptec disk utility at power on followed by a
> CTRL-A (^A) I don"t see the new drive, only the old one is available.
>
> 2) When I removed the old drive and connect the terminator to the new
> one, and re-execute the disk Utility, the news drive is available BUT
> all ID are set to this new drive (except ID=7 (the controler ID)). At
> this moment I can do fdisk to define a partition and then mke2fs a
> new file system in this new drive.

> Is anybody can help me?

Your documentation and ^A BIOS utility both would have helped, if you
only had a look at it: set the ID of your WDE to a reasonable value (i.
e. one that is NOT already used on the bus). IF you set it to the same
ID that the host adaptor is set to, you will see the things you
described.

Any chance you forgot to remove a jumper from the "4" SCSI ID jumper
block? If you did, the new drive would listen to ID #7 that clashes
with your Adaptec.

If you don't want to re-open the machine, set your AHA2842's ID to
something other than 0, 3, 7. Try 6.

--
Matthias Andree

-