List:       linux-rt
Subject:    Re: [rtl] print_rtl during remote login
From:       Eric Peterson <ericp () troikanetworks ! com>
Date:       2001-03-31 0:16:07

On Thu, Mar 29, 2001 at 09:16:39AM -0800, Oliver.J.Enders@aero.org wrote:

> When I operate my rtlinux machine remotely using rlogin from another
> machine, the printf_rtl output from within my program goes to the screen of
> the rtlinux machine instead of to the remote machine.  This behavior
> applies not just to my output but also to other rtl messages such as
> "RTLinux Extensions Loaded (http://www.fsmlabs.com/)".

Oliver,

    Note that the output from kernel messages (including rtl_print()) is
    a bit different than your standard printf() call, it's actually just
    writing to internal kernel buffers, which are picked up and spit out
    by a user-level process.  Typically that process is "klogd" which
    grabs them and hands them to either syslog, or a place you have
    specified (see man klogd(8)).

    Two places to look: your klogd configuration (typically started from
    an rc script) and your syslog configuration (/etc/syslog.conf).

    As an aside, note that you can also specify the syslog priority by
    prepending the kernel printf with "<value>".  For example:

	rtl_printf("<4>This is a priority 4 message!\n");

    However, there's no simple way to change the facility code, it will
    always come out LOG_KERN.

> But regular operating system messages, including the gdb debugger messages,
> do go over to the remote machine as expected.

    These messages from _user_ processes are sent via stdout/stderr,
    etc. so the rlogin connection forwards them.

    To actually see rtlinux messages on your remote system, you could
    tell the rtlinux system's syslog to forward messages to your remote
    system's syslog daemon.  See again syslog.conf(5) for details.

> This seems like an important capability that probably has an easy answer.

    I guess "easy" is relative :-)  At least it's more-or-less
    straightforward...

Regards,
Eric

--
A handful of patience is worth more than a bushel of brains.

Eric Peterson WB6PYK (805)370-3046 mailto:ericp@troikanetworks.com
    http://www.troikanetworks.com

http://www.rtlinux.org/rtlinux/