List:       linux-rt
Subject:    Re: [rtl] rt_com & setserial ... ?
From:       Robert & Patricia Warner <profwarner () mediaone ! net>
Date:       2000-11-29 3:07:04

Jochen,

Thanks, that had been accomplished on the last time it was suggested.  I
complied the serial driver as a module and DIDN'T place it in the
appropriate directory.  lsmod shows that it is not loaded by the system.
It still appears that I must use setserial to change the settings of the port.
1.setserial gives:
doc2000:~setserial /dev/ttyS0
/dev/ttyS0, UART: 16550A, Port: 0x03f8, IRQ: 4
2.dmesg gives:
Serial driver version 4.27 with no serial options enabled
ttyS00 at 0x03f8 (irq = 4) is a 16550A
ttyS01 at 0x02f8 (irq = 3) is a 16550A
3.searching the System.map file for any serial.c or .o calls gives:
no results in the kernel image.

Found it ... booting the wrong image from another disk.  Figures!. Damn it ...

Thanks for the help.
Bob

At 12:25 PM 11/28/00 +0100, Jochen Küpper wrote:

>Patricia> Why is it necessary to use setserial prior to loading
>Patricia> rt_com.o?  I don't wish to have setserial executable on the
>Patricia> system I'm using.  How do I get permenately set all serial
>Patricia> ports to 'uart none' so that I can use rt_com.o instead of
>Patricia> serial.o?  Or has this been addressed already?
>
>Well, then simply don't compile serial.o into the kernel and don't
>load the serial.o module, you are done;-))
>
>Greetings,
>Jochen
>--
>Heinrich-Heine-Universität, Institut für Physikalische Chemie I
>Universitätsstr. 1, Geb. 26.43 Raum 02.29             GnuPG key: 44BCCD8E
>40225 Düsseldorf, Germany                          phone ++49-211-8113681
>http://www.Jochen-Kuepper.de                         fax ++49-211-8115195