List:       linux-router
Subject:    Re: [LRP] undefined reference to 'memset' when compiling 2.2.19-1-LRP w/ reiserfs on gcc 2.9.6
From:       Dave Cinege <dcinege () psychosis ! com>
Date:       2001-10-18 11:35:43

On Thursday 18 October 2001 4:14, you wrote:
> When attempting to make bzImage with Reiserfs configged in the kernel I
> get the following error:
>
> fs/filesystems.a(reiserfs.o): In function `ip_check_balance':
> reiserfs.o(.text+0x9dde): undefined reference to `memset'
> make: ***[vmlinux] Error 1
>
> Applicable information:
> System compiling on: Mandrake 8.0
> Kernel attempting to compile: 2.2.19-1-LRP
> Root filesystem: Resierfs
> Compiler: GCC 2.96-0.48

In general 2.96 seems be troublsome. I believe 2.95 is the prefered kernel
compiler currently.

Reiserfs FAQ:

 I am using RedHat 7.0 with gcc 2.96; why does ReiserFS seem unstable with it?

 The choice of an unstable unreleased version of gcc 2.96 by RedHat as the
default gcc was a big Slashdot controversy. gcc 2.96 on RedHat 7.0 is
unstable, and ReiserFS is one of the things that will fail for it. RedHat
won't admit they made a mistake by releasing it before it was ready to ship,
and the gcc folks won't admit that RedHat released it for them by putting it
on the CD. As a result there are two gcc 2.96's, one of which may work, and
the other (the one on RedHat 7.0) surely does not. You'd think they'd just
admit to having made a mistake, apologize, and get on with it, but.... Read
the Linux kernel instructions about what compiler to use. Persons who think
that we shoul wd make our codeork for broken compilers should post on the
kernel mailing list and see what the other kernel hackers think of that one.
We think the same.

--
The time is now 22:19 (Totalitarian)  -  http://www.ccops.org/clock.html