List:       linux-router
Subject:    [LRP] undefined reference to 'memset' when compiling 2.2.19-1-LRP w/ reiserfs
From:       Trev Peterson <trev () advanced-reality ! com>
Date:       2001-10-18 8:14:18

When attempting to make bzImage with Reiserfs configged in the kernel I
get the following error:

fs/filesystems.a(reiserfs.o): In function `ip_check_balance':
reiserfs.o(.text+0x9dde): undefined reference to `memset'
make: ***[vmlinux] Error 1

Applicable information:
System compiling on: Mandrake 8.0
Kernel attempting to compile: 2.2.19-1-LRP
Root filesystem: Resierfs
Compiler: GCC 2.96-0.48

Here is the background on what I am doing:

I need a very current version of the rtl8139 module (including pciscan.o
module) for the 2.2.19-1-LRP kernel.  I was unable to find this module
pre compiled so I am attempting to compile the 2.2.19-1-LRP as an
alternate boot to my current Mandrake 8.0 system.  I want this to use
the root filesystem as the Mandrake (Reiserfs).  I will then compile the
rtl8139 module against the 2.2.19-1-LRP kernel.  This is my first kernel
compilation.  I have the following questions:

1. Anyone know why I am getting this compile error?

2. Anyone have any suggested fixes for the compile error?

3. Is it required that I am running the 2.2.19-1-LRP kernel to compile
modules against it?

4. Make Xconfig did not give an option for configuring in the rtl8139
(even as a module), will I be able to insmod the module when I am
finished compiling?

5. Once I have compiled the rtl8139 module successfully where should I
put it (FTP site) to save others from going through the same process?

Thanks in advance.

    Trev