List:       linux-raid
Subject:    Re: Documentation
From:       Mika Kuoppala <mak () icon ! fi>
Date:       2000-03-29 11:37:34

On Wed, 29 Mar 2000 gvl@phorce1.com wrote:

> Where is the best documentation on raid in general located? I'm thinking
> about striping my drives (raid 0 -- 2 IDE and 1 scsi) but have no idea
> what I'm up against, or if it would benefit me on speed.  I looked
> through HOWTO's but found only the ROOT-RAID howto. It seems to deal
> with older raid drivers, and I don't plan to put my root on a MDx
> anyway.

With raid0 you will benefit speedwise, but will lose what comes
to reliability. The fault on one drive will propably rend
your whole raid0 array useless.

> I want to reformat my drives to keep roughly the same partition sizes I
> have now, but with increased speed from spreading the data across
> multiple drives.
>
> Am I way off base?

You are in correct base :)

First take a look at, or preferrably read it through with thought
http://www.linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/Software-RAID-HOWTO.html

Then you might want to get linux 2.2.14
and patch it with:
http://people.redhat.com/mingo/raid-patches/raid-2.2.14-B1

Also get and compile this for userland tools:
http://people.redhat.com/mingo/raid-patches/raidtools-dangerous-0.90-20000116.tar.gz

and you should be ready to go.

-- Mika <miku@iki.fi>