List:       linux-ppc
Subject:    RE: connecting to internet via network
From:       Jason Staloff <jason-lppc () citroen ! oldcity ! dca ! net>
Date:       2000-07-04 15:57:13

Umm, do you folks have in your /etc/sysconfig/network file a statement:

GATEWAYDEV=eth0

I found on my PC linux box that this was missing. The machine always booted up fine, \
perhaps because it sets the gateway to eth0 during some earlier boot stage, but \
/etc/rc.d/init.d/network restart prevented me from getting outside. I fixed the \
missing st atement, and now it works fine.

Jason

PS here are my copies of the two files:

/etc/sysconfig/network
HOSTNAME=bug
DOMAINNAME=staloff.org
NETWORKING=yes
FORWARD_IPV4=false
GATEWAY=192.168.0.1
GATEWAYDEV=eth0

DEVICE=eth0
IPADDR=192.168.0.6
NETMASK=255.255.255.240

You may have NETWORK and BROADCAST statements in ifcfg-eth0 too, but they aren't \
necessary as they can be calculated by looking at the IPADDR and the NETMASK.

Jason

** Sent via the linuxppc-user mail list. See http://lists.linuxppc.org/