List:       linux-ppc
Subject:    PPP woes
From:       aclark () anise ! ee ! cornell ! edu
Date:       2000-06-30 18:00:50

Hi gang,

I have a PPP question, which the various Howtos I have
found have not helped to resolve.  Upon perusing these
documents, I see that they mostly help with setting up
PPP, esp. from "scratch."

In my case, I've used kppp to _successfully_ connect via
PPP to my ISP.  A window pops up & I successfully enter
username/pw info, then essentially get a shell connection
in that dialogue window.

The trouble occurs in that:
	(1) the host computer doesn't recognize the terminal
type for the ppp dialogue window, & hence I can't run
pine or any other cursor-oriented program;
	(2) I can't connect to the remote computer via any
other window...i.e., X-windows packets aren't escaping my
box, ssh doesn't work, etc.

Admittedly, networking is my Linux weak point -- usually
I just use netcfg, which seems to work in those
circumstances when I attach the laptop to fixed IP
address & DHCP situations...but it sure would be fine to
get the phone-based connection up & running!

I just know it probably has something to do with a domain
name not being resolved, or perhaps my nameserver info
isn't correct, etc.--but networking is fine in general,
OTHER than ppp...

So, my 2 questions are:  how does one set terminal type,
and how would I resolve these ppp issues?
Many thank for all those who might help!!!!  And,
hopefully I can return the favor by sharing some arcane
knowledge of my own in a different area...

Thanks,
Andy Clark

For the record, I'm running LinuxPPC 2000, 2.2.15pre3
standard kernel, on a PBG3 Wallstreet 1998