List:       linux-newbie
Subject:    Re: adsl pppoa connection
From:       Hal MacArgle <haltec () kvinet ! com>
Date:       2005-12-31 18:08:41

On 12-30, Andrew wrote:
> I'm trying to set up an adsl pppoa Internet connection on Slackware 10.2
> with kernel 2.6.13,  which includes the cxacru driver known to work with
> vigor 318 modem.
>
> The modem shows up in /proc/bus/usb/devices.
>
> cat /proc/net/atm/cxacru\:0 :
> ADSL USB MODEM (usb-0000:00:0a.0-1)
> MAC: 00:50:7f:18:75:6e
> AAL5: tx 0 ( 0 err ), rx 0 ( 0 err, 0 drop )
> Line up
>
> Leds light up correctly.
>
> Running pppd gets as far as:
>
> Connect: ppp0 <--> /dev/pts/0
> Connection terminated
> Modem hangup
> Exit
>
> The message in syslog is LCP: timeout sending Config-Requests
>
> It seems I am not getting an IP address (dynamic).
>
> According to my ISP, no username or password are required;
> authentication is apparently done by phone number.
>
> Does anybody have any idea where I go from here? Or what I should put in
> my ppp/options?
>
> TIA,
>
> Andrew

Greetings: Can't help with pppoa but I got pppoe working with much
doco reading and considerable help from Ray and Chuck on this list..

I have the file: DSL-HOWTO.pdf > 200K, that goes into all DSL formats
including pppoa.. It may give you some clues, finding it via google,
by Hal Burgiss, hal@foobar.net; v1.71 2002-07-21... HTH..

--
    Hal - in Terra Alta, WV/US - Slackware GNU/Linux 10.1   (2.4.29)
.

-