List:       linux-net
Subject:    Re: documentation
From:       "Mark A. Swope" <mswope () ieee ! org>
Date:       2000-03-27 15:41:09

Actually, it sounds as if you are at the edge of that plateau
that each of us reaches...  There's just so much to learn,
everything seems like separate pieces instead of a single
system and the answer always seems to be "RTFM!"

I cannot speak for the others on this list, but one of the ways
that I got over this particular plateau (there are others, a little
further on) was to take a "throw-away" system and make it
my own little linux box.  I can't tell you how invaluable it was
to start from scratch with a computer and install and configure
Linux.  I used Slackware, and w/o starting a Holy War, I ended
up having to learn a LOT of stuff because Slackware doesn't
shield you from having to get your fingers dirty - There just aren't
a lot of GUI niceties between you and Linux.

If you can dedicate the time and resources (an old 486 will do) -
start from the beginning, make your mistakes and learn from them.
Try to do the things that you mentioned - install a NIC *after* you've
installed Linux, learn to start and stop daemon processes, rebuild
an optimized kernel just for your system, accidently wipe out your
stuff, start over ....  These lessons will be your best source of learning.
This list will still be here to help, as will others.  Oh, yeah.... RTFM!...
;-)

mas