List:       linux-net
Subject:    documentation
From:       Rick Blake <rickb () cybernexus ! net>
Date:       2000-03-24 23:11:20

This is almost too stupid for this list, but...

I'm a part-time Linux user/admin, supporting my genuine admin as he
administers the ISP and various servers deployed to my employer's clients.
Suffice to say that I know my way around a prompt, but scripting is
something I oughta learn, and kernel compiles I avoid.  Serious sysadmin
stuff chills me.  Still, I can restart most of our firewalls by myself, and
I've spotted the last 2 or 3 attacks about the same time as my real admin
did.

Question - while HOWTOs and various man ages and docs exist for Linux
systems, there really doesn't seem to be anything that is truly dirt-simple
for an uninformed but willing user to employ in resolving the minor
annoyances of Linux life.  For instance, I changed the NIC in my RH 5.2
server in the office, with my admin on the phone talking me through rmmod,
insmod, and ifconfig statments.  A basic, very basic primer on how to do
this on a basically functional system would have been helpful.

I'm tempted to call these SLAMBAMs... a slam-bam-thank-you-very-much
approach to simple tasks.  Changing out a NIC, renumbering a machine, I'm
not sure how far to go.  Even specific chmod advice would be something.
Forbid it would include restarting your httpd, maybe a basic health check
for a rebooted server...

Am I describing something useful, or just more noise?

Rick
-