List:       linux-kernel
Subject:    DHCPD v1.3  needs testing
From:       "Sergei Viznyuk" <sviznyuk () columbus ! rr ! com>
Date:       1998-01-31 23:39:25

The new  dhcpcd-1.3
source is available for testing
at
ftp://204.210.228.4/pub

Most important changes
from previous version (0.70):

1.  Rewrote everything. Made it work with new
     kernels.
2.  dhcpcd now operates in "raw" mode using
     socket(AF_PACKET,SOCK_PACKET,..)
3.  dhcpcd now will fork into background
     only after it configures the interface and gets
     into "bound" state.
     If dhcpcd is unable to configure the interface
     it will timeout (60 secs by default).
     Hence 'dhcpcd -c filename' syntax is gone.
     Instead, the following works in bootup scripts:
=== cut here ==
if  /usr/sbin/dhcpcd
then
   inetd
   [...etc]
fi
=== cut here ===

4.  'dhcpcd -d'  usage changed. Now it means "debug mode".
5.  'dhcpcd -t timeout'  option added

The rest of the flags retained their meaning from previous version.

I run dhcpcd-1.3 happily with Time Warner RoadRunner cable modem
and 2.1.79-2.1.84 kernels but did not do any further testing.

Those interested can pick up the source from the location
above. There is also statically compiled binary.
The source has been compiled with glibc header files only.
If you do not have glibc installed, it's guaranteed to not
compile.
I'm not going to maintain the source. I made it work
for me, and those who have time can modify it at will.

Sergei