List:       linux-kernel
Subject:    Re: Freezes, reboots and crashes
From:       teunis <teunis () usa ! net>
Date:       1997-08-31 16:43:26

On Sat, 30 Aug 1997, Keith Owens wrote:

> On Fri, 29 Aug 1997 14:32:44 -0600 (MDT),
> Teunis Peters <teunis@usa.net> wrote:
> >Mine reboots about every hour.   Massive scroll past of messages (much
> >faster than I can read - lasts about 1/2 second) then reboot.  No logfile
> >entries, nothing to trace. <sigh>
>
> Anybody seeing unloggable messages should seriously consider compiling
> the kernel with the serial console support and running a serial cable
> to a second machine to capture the log.  The second machine can even be
> an 8086 running some trivial comms program under DOS as long as it can
> handle 9600 baud and CTS/RTS.  Very useful for debugging.

Fine, fine.  So tell me where a starving programmer could
get the funds for such a beast. <sigh>.

Apparently this happens when an idle task oops's FWIW [newer email].

Not everyone can afford new tools, regardlessly of how available the tools
should be (try to find a XT in, say, Ethiopia... <inventing example>)

Just posting to remind people that part of Linux's strength (and growth)
depends on its ability to run on limited and old hardware in places of the
world that may not have access to the hitech hiways of the first-world.
[and some people using it also don't have this access for other reasons]

Probably I shouldn't post this... <sigh>
G'day, eh?
	- Teunis