List:       linux-java
Subject:    free/malloc (re)defined in libjava.so?
From:       Eric Ding <ericding () applix ! com>
Date:       1998-07-31 17:09:09

Hi,

I'm working on a project (Applixware for Linux) that uses the JDK
libjava.so internally.  We've stumbled on some sort of bug that I think
has to do with free() being redefined in libjava.so (it's not, for
example, in Solaris, so we don't encounter this problem).

I'm not sure much more what's going on, except that it'd be nice if
there were a workaround such that we could make sure to be using the
correct system functions (i.e., free, malloc, etc.), or an
implementation that didn't step on system calls.  Forgive me if I'm
asking the impossible, I don't know much of libjava internals.  As a
note, on our glibc port, we see this message:

> OUCH: nested memory code, to 1 levels.

while on the libc5 port, we're more apt to see either a massive core
dump or "Trying to free bogus memory" messages.

Any help you can give would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Eric