List:       linux-java
Subject:    Re: linux on laptops
From:       Jason Tan <jtan () mail ! chariot ! net ! au>
Date:       1998-07-31 17:08:37

Isn't this rea;y the sort of thread that belongs on a hardware or linux
setup/install list?

Jason Tan
On Fri, 31 Jul 1998, Maureen Lecuona wrote:

> Date: Fri, 31 Jul 1998 11:45:08 -0400 (EDT)
> From: Maureen Lecuona <lecuona@paul.rutgers.edu>
> To: java-linux@java.blackdown.org, jcassidy@nova.genesoft.com,
>     rich@dost.com
> Subject: Re: linux on laptops
>

> Hi:
>
> I have an IBM 770 ED running Linux RH5.1.  The installation was done
> yesterday (took me less than an hour).  So far XFree works at 1024x768.
>
> I don't know about sound and the internal modem yet.  However, this is
> not a problem for me, since I generally use an external ISDN TA
> for ppp based work.  The rest of the time (Ie, if I am traveling), I
> may have to boot up MSWIN95 (vomit) to use the internal modem if it
> turns out not to work.
>
> I also have a Toshiba Tecra 740 CDT running Linux.  I don't use the
> internal modem on that one either since I use ISDN.  Sound doesn't
> work under RH5.1 as it comes out of the box.  I haven't gotten around
> to dealing with fixing this since I am to busy. However, it can be
> made to work (it worked fine under RH4.2 out of the box).
>
> The third laptop I have is an IBM 755 CD.  It also runs linux
> nicely.  No sound (due to MWAVE DSP) is available for this one.
>

> The best engineered boxes IMHO are without a doubt the IBM's.
> I you have problems with your hardware (which has yet to happen
> with the IBM, but has happened at least 5 times so far with the
> Toshibas I have owned), the service/support for the hardware is
> very very good.  Not so with Toshiba.  They are the worst ever.
> And the case is flimsy, hard to service (when you can get service),
> and not worth the money.
>
> M. Lecuona

Jason Tan                         Chariot Internet YAKS
email:jtan@chariot.net.au         (Yet Another Knoweledgable Support guy)

            The box said Win95 or better, so I bought a Mac!!

Technical Support requests directed to this address will be ignored.
Support requests for Chariot users should be directed to:
                                                   support@chariot.net.au

Don't moan about my spelling. I can spell, I just can't type. Anyway you
are at the bottom of the message, it must be compelling conetent. Don't
moan about the delivery mechanism.