List:       linux-isp
Subject:    Re: Reverse Lookup DNS (update)
From:       Robert Canary <rwcanary () ohiocounty ! net>
Date:       1999-03-10 16:01:48

Hi,

Thanks for the input from everyone.

Turns out it is not my problem.   The network I going through to get to my
network has a screwed up DNS.arpr file (or rather the lack of one).    My
machine is trying to do a reverse look up on the calling machine but it gets
no reply, and it hangs there until it times out.   By putting the FQD and IP
of the calling machine in my networks /etc/hosts file it connects very fast.
However, that explain why I can telnet to the router very fast and not the LAN
on the other side.

However, Thanks to Michael Woods, I did discover that sprint has not delegated
my block of address to my DNS,  which explains some other problems that has
been happening.   I will resolve that issue with sprint.

Thanks for your help :-)
--
robert