List:       linux-fsdevel
Subject:    Re: Mountpoint lookup
From:       David Chow <davidchow () shaolinmicro ! com>
Date:       2003-02-22 18:56:17

Florin Malita wrote:

>On Wed, 2003-02-05 at 23:15, Bryan Henderson wrote:
>

>>To the extent that this translation would be handy, it would be appropriate
>>to pass the information as a filesystem-type-specific mount parameter
>>(which is actually a parameter of the filesystem image, not of the mount),
>>but the semantics of the parameter wouldn't be "this is the mount point,"
>>but rather "translate absolute symlinks with respect to this base path."
>>You could have a mount program that automatically sets this parameter to
>>the same path as the mount point, but of course you'd still have to have a
>>lot of disclaimers that imported absolute symlinks don't always work the
>>way the user expects.
>>

>Sounds reasonable.
>
>But how about translating all remote absolute symlinks to relative ones?
>Seems to be quite easy and eliminates any need of mount point knowledge.

Actually, this question is some question I've asked before. Al response
to me with the same answer. However, I do find it important in
communicating with user land fs implementation or stackable fs
implementation. However, the file system path (user space view) doesn't
even exists after read_super() returns. I suggests the fs driver to
implement a /proc interface for communication to user space. Because the
user space path not always tells you or able to correctly locate the
root dentry of your file system. Think of --bind or othermounts ontop of
your previous mounts. User space must check fs type or as I said some
/proc or ioctls. Symlinks is even more complicate as it can be cross
devices, this is something impossible to handle with a couple of --bind
on one another. You have to make your choice of assumptions.

regards,
David Chow

-