List:       linux-crypto
Subject:    Re: (AES) loopback crypto questions
From:       "peter k." <spam-goes-to-dev-null () gmx ! net>
Date:       2001-07-11 12:28:21

----- Original Message -----
From: "Dale Amon" <amon@vnl.com>
To: <linux-crypto@nl.linux.org>
Sent: Wednesday, July 11, 2001 11:47 AM

> On Tue, Jul 10, 2001 at 10:38:00PM +0200, peter k. wrote:
> > 1) if an attacker has got some files which are on an (AES) encrypted
device,
> > will he be able to decrypt the whole device?
>
> It might help slightly, ie Known Plaintext Attack, but probably not a lot.
>
> > 2) is it a good idea to run "cat /dev/zero > zero.file; shred -uv
zero.file"
> > on (AES) encrypted devices to overwrite all free space with random data
> > remove any encrypted data which is left from deleted files from the
device
> > behind the loopback device and confuse attackers]?
>
> Depends on your paranoia level. If you think your key was compromised
> you might do something like this; I don't see why'd you zero before
> shredding. Personally I prefer wipe. Slow, but fairly certain.

the cat /dev/zero is only used to get a file which is as big as the left
freespace on the device, i could also have used "cat /dev/urandom >
random.file; rm -f random.file" without shred but shred is much faster than
cat /dev/urandom ;)

> In the passed I zeroed my loopbacks; but I like the idea of using
/dev/random
> for the job... although the thought of doing that over 10-20GB gives me
> thoughts of going on vacation for 2 weeks while it runs.

isnt overwriting it with zero dangerous? or at least worse than random?