List:       linux-crypto
Subject:    Re: Questions on boot time crypto-swap for Debian
From:       Dale Amon <amon () vnl ! com>
Date:       2002-03-31 16:56:02

On Sun, Mar 31, 2002 at 06:33:41PM +0200, Marc Mutz wrote:
> is the urandom script the one that restores the entropy pool? If so, why does
> it come so late? This should only require reading a file and cat'ing it to
> /dev/random.

It is, and I don't know, but that's the way the dist is set up
and not under my control.

> > The root fs is not writeable until after S10checkroot.sh,
> > so I can't change the sequence.
> >
> > Does anyone see a way out of this quandary?

> What's wrong with adding a S56encrypted-swap with essentially
> swapoff -a
> <for each swap device>
>   <set up>
>   <mkswap>
> <done>
> swapon -a

I'm trying to figure out how to do it "right", ie something that
will work with standard debian. I have an entry /dev/swap0 in
/etc/fstab that I soft link to either /dev/loop6 is the kernel
which is booting has loop back; or to the actual device partition
otherwise. That handles the problem switching kernels. If I
do it after checkroot, the swap has been activated. I'm trying
to slip in and make the debian boot sequence just transparently
use crypto swap if it is available.

Admittedly, this is sort of a question that needs a debian
developer's assistance.

-