List:       linux-btrfs
Subject:    Re: How to view transaction log chronologically, human-readable?
From:       Mitch Harder <mitch.harder () sabayonlinux ! org>
Date:       2014-04-21 4:12:00

On Sat, Apr 19, 2014 at 2:45 PM, Marcel Partap <mpartap@gmx.net> wrote:
> This is the BTRFS development list, right? Someone here should know how
> to achieve this I hope?
> #Regards
>
>> On 01/03/14 02:21, Marcel Partap wrote:
>>> Dear BTFRS devs,
>>> I have a 1TB btrfs volume mounted read-only since two years because I
>>> deleted a bunch of files and didn't want to give up on them.
>>> Now with latest btrfs-find-root and btrfs restore --dry-run -t in a
>>> loop, I generated the full list of files contained in the last several
>>> hundred root trees. However, diffing these, I find the current one being
>>> the same until 94 root trees back, and the ones before contain earlier
>>> changes. Maybe by my own fault that is..whatever.
>>>
>>> Is there a way to just view the transaction history in a human-readable way?
>>>
>>> #Regards

I am not a "dev", but since BTRFS utilizes a COW (Copy On Write)
architecture, it doesn't keep a journal or history of transactions
that can be unwound.

With respect to un-deleting files on BTRFS, the btrfs-find-root/'btrfs
restore' combination are the most effective user-space tools I know
of.

It sounds like you've effectively tried this manually, but here's a
link to an btrfs undelete script that also makes use of
btrfs-find-root and 'btrfs restore':

http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.comp.file-systems.btrfs/22560