List:       linux-bridge
Subject:    Re: [Bridge] Using bridge for failover ethernet link
From:       Fabien Salvi <fabien () cri74 ! org>
Date:       2002-06-24 9:30:37

Lennert Buytenhek wrote:

> The question is, what are you trying to make redundant?
>
> One problem with bridging is that when you run bridging, you
> actually offer to forward other people's packets.  It'll work,
> but if the wrong component fails, your 'server' might suddenly
> be bombarded with forwarding packets for other parts of the
> network.

Sorry for confusing...
What I mean is that I would like to have a redundant link for a server,
so if 1 NIC or a switch is down, the server is still accessible.

Well, I feal that in my stuation, bridge is not the good way to
accomplish what I want.

I've tested bonding solution and I think it's the good way to do this.
It works very well.

The only problem is that it only checks for link failure.
But, if the switch is in instable mode, maybe the link is OK, not the
data transfer.

In any matter, we can't get everything :)