List:       linux-bridge
Subject:    Re: [Bridge] dos attacks and performance issues
From:       Lennert Buytenhek <buytenh () gnu ! org>
Date:       2002-02-06 10:04:47

Hi,

The problem is definitely in software; currently linux just throws up and dies
when placed under high network load (in terms of packets-per-second).  The
real solution is basically to do what NAPI does: to rewrite some network
code and driver code to gracefully handle the case where the system doesn't
keep up with network traffic.  With NAPI, I can easily sustain fast ethernet
tinygram routing (148kpps) on a P3 500, while userspace applications are not
CPU-starved.

Currently there are driver patches for tulip and 3c59x cards.  Get NAPI at
ftp://robur.slu.se/pub/Linux/net-development/NAPI/

You will still see the problem with an athlon xp and plain linux 2.4, albeit
under higher loads.

cheers,
Lennert